Programme Management Structure for Digital India programme
The Programme Management Structure for Digital India prorgamme as endorsed by the Union Cabinet is as follow:
- For effective management of Digital India programme, the Programme Management Structure would consists of a Monitoring Committee on Digital India headed by the Prime Minister, a Digital India Advisory Group chaired by Minister of Communications and IT and an Apex Committee chaired by Cabinet Secretary. The structure has the needed secretarial/ monitoring/ technical support and appropriate decentralisation of power and responsibility to ensure effective execution of the various projects/ components by the implementing departments/ teams.
- Key components of the Programme Management structure would be as follows:
1. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) for programme level policy decisions.
2. A Monitoring Committee on Digital India under the Chairpersonship of Prime Minister which will be constituted with representation drawn from relevant Ministries/ Departments to provide leadership, prescribe deliverables and milestones, and monitor periodically the implementation of Digital India programme.
3. A Digital India Advisory Group headed by the Minister of Communications and IT to solicit views of external stakeholders and to provide inputs to Monitoring Committee on Digital India, advise the Government on policy issues and strategic interventions necessary for accelerating the implementation of Digital India programme across the Central and the State Government Ministries/Departments. The composition of the Advisory Group would include representation from Planning Commission and 8 to 9 representatives from the States/UTs and other Line Ministries/Departments on a rotational basis.
4. An Apex Committee headed by Cabinet Secretary would be overseeing the programme and would provide policy and strategic directions for its implementation and resolving inter-ministerial issues. In addition, it would harmonise and integrate diverse initiatives and aspects related to integration of services, end-to-end process re-engineering and service levels of MMPs and other initiatives under Digital India programme, wherever required.
5. Expenditure Finance Committee (EFC)/Committee on Non Plan Expenditure (CNE) to financially appraise/ approve projects as per existing delegation of financial powers. The EFC/ CNE headed by Secretary Expenditure would also be recommending to the CCEA the manner in which MMPs/ e-governance initiatives are to be implemented, as well as the financial terms of participation for the States. A representative of the Planning Commission would also be included in both the EFC and CNE.
6. A Council of Mission Leaders on Digital India headed by Secretary, DeitY would be established as a platform to share the best practices in various existing and new eGov initiatives under Digital India and also to sensitize various government departments about ICT projects of DeitY. While the inter-departmental, integration and interoperable issues of integrated projects / eGovernance initiatives would be resolved by the Apex Committee on Digital India headed by Cabinet Secretary, the technical issues of integrated projects would be resolved by the Council of Mission Leaders.
7. Further, considering the scope of Digital India programme and the need to look at issues, such as overall technology architecture, framework, standards, security policy, funding strategy, service delivery mechanism, sharing of common infrastructure etc., at a programme level, it is proposed that the technical appraisal of all Digital India projects be done by DeitY, prior to a project being placed before the EFC/ CNE. This appraisal would cover issues relating to inclusion of adoption of Standards, utilization of Cloud and mobile platforms, consideration of security aspects etc. The Secretary, DeitY or his representative may also be included as a standing special invitee to all EFC/CNE meetings, which are appraising/approving MMPs. It may be mentioned that DeitY has already set up a Programme Management Unit, namely National eGovernance Division (NeGD) to provide support to departments in conceptualising, developing, appraising, implementing and monitoring respective MMPs / eGovernance Initiatives.
8. The institutional mechanism of Digital India at the State level would be headed by State Committee on Digital India by the Chief Minister. State/UT Apex Committees on Digital India headed by Chief Secretaries would be constituted at the State/UT level to allocate required resources, set priority amongst projects and resolve inter-departmental issues at the State level.
- For effective monitoring of Digital India, usage of Project Management Information System would be mandatory in each new and existing Mission Mode Projects to capture the real or near real-time details about the progress of the project. This tool should be proficient enough to capture the parameters for each stage of project namely, conceptualisation and development, implementation and post implementation. The parameters could be decided in consultation with various line Ministries / Departments and DeitY.
- Since “e-Kranti: National eGovernance Plan 2.0” is already integrated with Digital India Programme, the existing programme management structure established for National eGovernance Plan at both the national and the state level has also been decided to be integrated appropriately with the programme management structure being envisaged for Digital India programme at the national and the State/UT level.
Institutional Mechanism at National Level
The Apex Committee on Digital India programme headed by Cabinet Secretary and the Digital India Advisory Group chaired by Minister of Communications and Information Technology has been constituted.
The first meeting of the Apex Committee on the Digital India programme was held on 26.11.2014. The second meeting of the Apex Committee on the Digital India programme was held on 09.02.2015. The actions on decisions made by the Apex Committee are being worked out.
Last updated on February 22nd, 2022 at 05:13 pm